[Postgres-xl-general] Backups with Barman

Michael Misiewicz mmisiewicz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:54:21 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I’ve been using Postgres-XL for some time now and I really think it’s an awesome project! The features in 9.5 are particularly excellent! It’s been working so well that I now have a fair amount of important data in my cluster, and I’d like to be more thorough about my backups. Up until now, I’ve been running pg_dumpall to save the contents of the database. This works, but is not ideal, in part because there’s no efficient way to store just the deltas.

Where I work we have some other postgres installations - regular Postgres. Barman is in use for WAL backups. I am wondering if anyone has any experience using this with Postgres-XL. I understand that 2ndquadrant sponsors both PGXL and Barman.

I was able to get Barman nicely connected to my Coordinator node, and making backups. However, they’re small - only about 150 mb each time I run barman backup. Since I have about 3T of data in the cluster, it seems like I’m not getting everything. I suspect that I also need to configure barman to backup each of the datanodes - some tables in the cluster as hashed and some are replicated - so I need to get all of them.

Is this correct? Has anyone used PGXL with Barman? Do you need to do the coordinator and all of the datanodes?

Thanks,

Michael