[Postgres-xl-general] shared _queue_size implications when inserting large (xml) records

Krzysztof Nienartowicz krzysztof.nienartowicz at unige.ch
Tue May 26 07:25:33 PDT 2015

Hello,
We noticed that shared _queue_size has quite dramatic influence on inserts
with large (xml in our case, >16KB) records.

With a default settings we got "producer error" while inserting into a
replicated table, with the size bumped to few megabytes such errors
disappear.

Could somebody explain what exactly this parameter affects? I skimmed the
code while debugging and have few ideas but clear documentation would be
helpful.

Furthermore, ticket #60 [https://sourceforge.net/p/postgres-xl/tickets/60/]
is fixed by changing this setting.

Looks like the shared queue management could be improved or give meaningful
error while queue resources are not big enough.

Best regards