[Postgres-xl-general] Recursive CTE on replicated table?

Nikhil Sontakke nikhils at translattice.com
Wed Sep 24 06:02:11 PDT 2014

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Aaron Jackson <ajackson at revionics.com>
> wrote:
>
>>      My colleague wrote a function that employed a recursive CTE.  It
>> failed indicating that "WITH RECURSIVE currently not supported on
>> distributed tables" - I read that as doesn't work on distributed tables but
>> should work on replicated tables.  So we replicated the table and found we
>> got the same error.
>>
>> I could be wrong, but looking at the code it seems  WITH RECURSIVE
> support is quite limited in XL right now. That error message is also
> misleading because WITH RECURSIVE seems to be blocked for subqueries,
> function scans, value scan etc. In fact, I wonder if recursive queries work
> at all right now. WITH queries (i.e. without recursion) should work for
> much better though.

AFAIR, we support a subset of the entire WITH RECURSIVE functionality.

>  If true, it means that recursive CTEs will not work on ANY tables since
>> a table must by definition be distributed (even if by replication).  Are we
>> missing something here?
>>
> Like I said, the error message is misleading because even for subqueries,
> the same error message is printed, We should at least fix the error message
> in the next release.

Yeah, we have added error messages to avoid misleading results due to
missing functionality in some cases.

Regards,
Nikhils

> Thanks,
> Pavan

TransLattice - http://www.translattice.com
Distributed and Clustered Database Solutions
Postgres-XL Support