[Postgres-xl-general] Invalid memory alloc request size

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 22:17:31 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Aaron Jackson <ajackson at revionics.com>
wrote:

>      I've looked at this one for a while, so I will throw it out here and
> continue looking to see if I can make sense of it.
>
>  I have an i2 with 32GB of memory.  Kernel parameters are set as follows:
>
>      kernel.shmall = 7864320
> kernel.shmmax = 32212254720
> kernel.shmmni = 4096
>
>      This machine is host to one coordinator and two datanodes (datanode1
> and datanode4).  Datanode4 was recently added and I wanted to redistribute
> data that was currently on 1,2 and 3 onto 4.  Thus, I issued the following
> command.
>
>      ALTER TABLE client.foo ADD NODE (datanode4);
>
>      It processes the request, eventually failing with the following:
>
>      ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1073741824

That error clearly comes from trying to palloc/repalloc memory more than
1GB. What's the size of the table that you are redistributing? While it
should not cause such failures, I am not sure if this part of the code is
tested well for very large tables or not.

If the error is reproducible, I would request you to attach the session to
a debugger and set break point at errfinish(). If the error occurs, please
get the stack trace when the function gets called.

You could run "SELECT pg_backend_pid();" to get the PID of the backend
process serving the given psql session.

Thanks,
Pavan