[Postgres-xl-general] Repeatably Installing Postgres-XL

Mason Sharp msharp at translattice.com
Tue Sep 9 16:04:08 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Aaron Jackson <ajackson at revionics.com>
wrote:

>    It has been a while since I setup a cluster and I did so today and
> found myself getting a bit flustered by the process.  So, I wanted to make
> sure I was doing this correctly because I think it's a good chance to
> capture doing this properly.
>
>    - Started in my home directory on a new machine (post pgsql-xl
>    installation)
>    - Executed pgxc_ctl prepare - which created ~/pgxc_ctl and associated
>    files
>    - Edited ~/pgxc_ctl/pgxc_ctl.conf
>       - Changed the user to 'current user'
>       - Changed gtmMasterServer
>       - Disable gtmSlave - single server / no HA
>       - Disable gtmProxy - single server
>       - Reduce coordNames, coordPorts, poolerPorts, coordMasterServers,
>       coordMasterDirs down to 1 entry
>       - Disable coordSlave
>       - Disable coordSlaveSync
>       - Add base changes to coordExtraConfig
>       - Reduce datanodeNames, datanodePorts, datanodePoolerPorts down to
>       1 entry
>       - Reduce datanodeMasterServers, datanodeMasterDirs down to 1 entry
>       - Disable datanodeSlave
>       - Add datanodeExtraConfig
>       - Add base changes to datanodeExtraConfig
>    - Executed pgxc_ctl init gtm - works fine
>    - Executed pgxc_ctl init datanode - failed on a simple vm
>       - Tune kernel parameters, run pgtune if applicable
>       - Change values, re-run
>    - Executed pgxc_ctl init coordinator - should work fine if you tuned
>    in the prior step
>    - Executed pgxc_ctl start all - worked fine
>
> Now, I have a GTM, coordinator and datanode all running.  Now I must
> manually add the datanode to the cluster via a "CREATE NODE" command to the
> coordinator.  I'm of the opinion that I missed something here because I
> think if this was 6 nodes, it would be painful to get all of these nodes
> online.

One could setup a small cluster (two datanode?), get it working, then save
off the config file, then modify pgxc_ctl.conf for more nodes and run
pgxc_ctl init for a new cluster.  It will detect conflicts and complain,
then one could fix those and try again.

Also, you can use "pgxc_ctl add" to add nodes and check for conflicts and
bring them into the cluster.

>  Also, I think that while pgxc_ctl is a useful tool, it can be as
> frustrating as sar if things aren't crystal clear.  Thinking about my own
> administration team, this may be a good time to kick off a web-frontend to
> pgxl management.  If such a tool came into existence on github would there
> be any interest?

I think there would be interest.

We have been thinking about a command line tool to generate a pgxc_ctl.conf
for a configuration, where you pass in a list of hosts and if you want a
coordinator, datanode(s), gtm, etc on it, and then it just generates the
file for you. You should be able to just run pgxc_ctl init all afterward to
take care of everything.

We could even make specifying ports optional and it could choose
non-conflicting ports. It seems like such a little tool should not be too
difficult and would help out a lot.

--
Mason Sharp

TransLattice - http://www.translattice.com