[Postgres-xl-general] Installing Postgres-XL

Mason Sharp msharp at translattice.com
Tue Sep 9 15:33:42 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM, David Haynes II <dahaynes at umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some general questions regarding the installation of postgres-xl. I
> am a researcher working on a project (www.terrapop.org) that we believe
> would be greatly benefited by using a clustered version of postgesql with
> postgis. We have spent amount a month or so on our own trying to get
> postgresql-xl up an running with our system admins are encountering a
> number of problems.
>
> A number of examples and that user have posted deal with installation on a
> single server. In our project we would actually be running the postgresq-xl
> at super computing institute. This has created problems as the number of
> nodes and the IP addresses is not always known.

Perhaps try using hostnames instead of IP addresses? It may make things
easier.

> Specifically we are looking for more thorough documentation about the
> installation process, as we know that we will have to modify the content
> for our system.

Did you use pgxc_ctl to setup your cluster? That makes it much easier to
do. There was a minor update done to the online documentation today to
emphasize using pgxc_ctl and other changes.  Still, there is more that we
should do to improve the documentation.

> Currently the error that we are at involves creating a database. After
> doing a lot of hard coding to in the config for IP addresses, we can create
> datanodes and coordinators. However, the create database command comes back
> with this error.
>

> This command was run from a coordinator connecting to a data node (running
> on port 15432 of IP 10.32.39.12).
>
> % psql -h 10.32.39.12 -p 15432 -c "CREATE DATABASE test" postgres
> ERROR:  cannot execute CREATE DATABASE in a read-only transaction

My guess is that you ran the command against a datanode instead of a
coordinator.

I would start with a much smaller configuration, say one GTM, 1 coordinator
and 2 datanodes to make sure you are comfortable with it before moving on
to a large number of nodes.

> Any help would be appreciated. I would like to have the system up and
> running ASAP as I plan on attending Mason Sharp's presentation in a couple
> of weeks time.

If you need any onsite assistance, one of the companies here may be able to
help:

http://www.postgres-xl.org/sponsors/

Regards,

--