[Postgres-xl-general] Repeatably Installing Postgres-XL
ajackson at revionics.com
Tue Sep 9 09:39:09 PDT 2014
It has been a while since I setup a cluster and I did so today and found myself getting a bit flustered by the process. So, I wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly because I think it's a good chance to capture doing this properly.
* Started in my home directory on a new machine (post pgsql-xl installation)
* Executed pgxc_ctl prepare - which created ~/pgxc_ctl and associated files
* Edited ~/pgxc_ctl/pgxc_ctl.conf
* Changed the user to 'current user'
* Changed gtmMasterServer
* Disable gtmSlave - single server / no HA
* Disable gtmProxy - single server
* Reduce coordNames, coordPorts, poolerPorts, coordMasterServers, coordMasterDirs down to 1 entry
* Disable coordSlave
* Disable coordSlaveSync
* Add base changes to coordExtraConfig
* Reduce datanodeNames, datanodePorts, datanodePoolerPorts down to 1 entry
* Reduce datanodeMasterServers, datanodeMasterDirs down to 1 entry
* Disable datanodeSlave
* Add datanodeExtraConfig
* Add base changes to datanodeExtraConfig
* Executed pgxc_ctl init gtm - works fine
* Executed pgxc_ctl init datanode - failed on a simple vm
* Tune kernel parameters, run pgtune if applicable
* Change values, re-run
* Executed pgxc_ctl init coordinator - should work fine if you tuned in the prior step
* Executed pgxc_ctl start all - worked fine
Now, I have a GTM, coordinator and datanode all running. Now I must manually add the datanode to the cluster via a "CREATE NODE" command to the coordinator. I'm of the opinion that I missed something here because I think if this was 6 nodes, it would be painful to get all of these nodes online.
Also, I think that while pgxc_ctl is a useful tool, it can be as frustrating as sar if things aren't crystal clear. Thinking about my own administration team, this may be a good time to kick off a web-frontend to pgxl management. If such a tool came into existence on github would there be any interest?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the postgres-xl-general