[Postgres-xl-general] Installing Postgres-XL

David Haynes II dahaynes at umn.edu
Tue Sep 9 07:58:15 PDT 2014

Hello,

I have some general questions regarding the installation of postgres-xl. I
am a researcher working on a project (www.terrapop.org) that we believe
would be greatly benefited by using a clustered version of postgesql with
postgis. We have spent amount a month or so on our own trying to get
postgresql-xl up an running with our system admins are encountering a
number of problems.

A number of examples and that user have posted deal with installation on a
single server. In our project we would actually be running the postgresq-xl
at super computing institute. This has created problems as the number of
nodes and the IP addresses is not always known. Specifically we are looking
for more thorough documentation about the installation process, as we know
that we will have to modify the content for our system.

Currently the error that we are at involves creating a database. After
doing a lot of hard coding to in the config for IP addresses, we can create
datanodes and coordinators. However, the create database command comes back
with this error.

This command was run from a coordinator connecting to a data node (running
on port 15432 of IP 10.32.39.12).

% psql -h 10.32.39.12 -p 15432 -c "CREATE DATABASE test" postgres
ERROR:  cannot execute CREATE DATABASE in a read-only transaction

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to have the system up and
running ASAP as I plan on attending Mason Sharp's presentation in a couple
of weeks time.
--
David Haynes, Ph.D.
Research Associate Terra Populous