[Postgres-xl-general] Problem with connecting to the GTM from datanodes (I think)

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 23:51:52 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 2:26 AM, John Melesky <john.melesky at rentrakmail.com>
wrote:

> Still trying to get my cluster up, configured, and running. pgxc_ctl has
> been very helpful, but I'm still not there yet.
>
> The results of `pgxc_ctl init all` were promising up to a point. That
> point was adding nodes to the coordinator. There were many errors of the
> form:
>
> EXECUTE DIRECT ON (datanode01) 'CREATE NODE coord1 WITH
> (TYPE=''coordinator'', HOST=''localhost'', PORT=5432)';
> ERROR:  Failed to get pooled connections
>
> In fact, every "EXECUTE DIRECT" which hit a remote node (i.e. not on
> localhost) failed with that error.
>
> It sounded like the datanode processes weren't running. But when I
> investigated, the processes were running, they just weren't allowing
> connections. When I logged into a data node and attempted a local psql
> connection, I got:
>
> $ psql -p 5433
> psql: FATAL:  GTM error, could not obtain snapshot. Current XID = 2102,
> Autovac = 0
>
> The "Current XID" kept increasing if I tried again to connect. Moreover,
> this state prevented not only connections, but management -- if I issued
> `pgxc_ctl stop all` from the coordinator, none of the remote data nodes
> shut down.
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? pgxc_ctl.conf file attached.

One possibility could be that the firewall is preventing the datanode/gtm
ports to be accessible from the coordinator. Can you try a psql session
from the coordinator host to datanode "datanode01" and see if that works
OK? If not, then please try turning off firewall or opening the required
ports.

> -john
>

> ps- `pgxc_ctl stop` does not seem to honor the '-m' flag. I tried the
> following:
> [postgres at idpgxlc ~]$ pgxc_ctl -m fast stop all
> pgxc_ctl: invalid option -- 'm'

Yeah, pgxc_ctl tries to interprete that as command option and fails. I
guess something like this might work:
pgxc_ctl "stop -m immediate all"

Alternatively, you could get to the pgxc_ctl prompt by typing the command
without any options and then issue stop all command.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee