[Postgres-xl-general] Can create tables, but not insert data

Mason Sharp msharp at translattice.com
Wed Jul 16 10:42:45 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Brown, Joseph E. <
Joseph.Brown at gtri.gatech.edu> wrote:

>  1.       Pgxc_ctl difficulties: the error was that since there were no
> running coordinators, pgxc_ctl could not add a node. The program seemed to
> presuppose it was operating with an operational cluster, rather than being
> used to create a new cluster;

pgxc_ctl can be used to both create a cluster and add new nodes later. Upon
initial initialization it will bring the components online and then
configure them. Maybe there was a problem with the specified configuration
initially, so it could not bring it up in the first place to modify it.
When I make a mistake with having a parameter incorrect, I just try to
initialize a new cluster. Once it is up and running, things are good. That
said, someone did notice a bug with pgxc_ctl and is fixing it, so there may
be problems with some configurations.

>  2.       Pg_hba.conf is wide open on all nodes; firewall is down on all
> nodes;
>
> 3.      I see a lot of “ERROR:  node "coordinator_vm3_3721" does not
> exist”. I tend to use vm3 a lot, though I’ve tried against all nodes.

In whose log file or from where?

>  4.       I was able to use “execute direct” to query tables, which gets
> the same results without execute direct. Attempting to use execute direct
> for writes resulted in syntax errors, as you apparently have to rearrange
> your single/double quotes.

What are the same results? Originally you said the query never returns?
EXECUTE DIRECT also never returns?

Sorry again for the trouble. As I mentioned, one developer is fixing a
pgxc_ctl issue, perhaps once he fixes it, it will help with your issue.  I
guess I have been lucky with my configurations so far to not encounter
these issues.

Look for a patch soon.