[Postgres-xl-general] Can create tables, but not insert data

Brown, Joseph E. Joseph.Brown at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 15 07:10:31 PDT 2014

Good morning XL team,

I'm having issues using the database now. I've created the same table using multiple distribution strategies -- modulo, hash, and replicated - and attempted to insert data.

CREATE TABLE "mytable" (
  id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  fname varchar(255) default NULL,
  lname varchar(255) default NULL,
  email varchar(255) default NULL
)
distribute by modulo(id);

CREATE TABLE "mytable" (
  id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  fname varchar(255) default NULL,
  lname varchar(255) default NULL,
  email varchar(255) default NULL
)
distribute by hash(id);

CREATE TABLE "mytable" (
  id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  fname varchar(255) default NULL,
  lname varchar(255) default NULL,
  email varchar(255) default NULL
)
distribute by replication;

All of these work. I even defined a group, localgroup, consisting of the three datanodes, and modified the script to read "...distribute by <strategy> to <group>", however this returned a syntax error starting at "to".

Once the table was created, I attempted to insert data:
INSERT INTO "mytable" (fname,lname,email) VALUES ('Devin','Holder','nec.malesuada.ut at Duis.co.uk');

This operation never completes. Inspection reveals the data is never inserted.

1.  Are there any obvious flaws in this psql code?

2.  Perhaps I'm not reading the documentation correctly - what is the proper syntax for specifying the distribution strategy?.

Thanks & regards,

-Joe