[Postgres-xl-developers] UNIQUE constraint

tiredpixel tiredpixel at posteo.de
Wed May 17 15:23:39 PDT 2017

Paulo henrique França Silva (2017-05-17 21:52):
> Hi there, my name is Paulo, and I'm DBA at tjdft.jus.br
>

> We use postgres EDB for our main system. I would like to use Postgres-XL as well.
>
> I'v been trying to put it to work, but the UNIQUE constraint limitation has been a roadblock to us.
>

> Is there any plan to be able to create UNIQUE constraints that is no part of HASH distribution key?
>
> I say that because many tables has unique keys that is no primary keys.
>

> Best Regards
>
> Paulo H

Dear Paulo,

Others may well be able to answer better, but I'm a little confused about what you're asking, I'm afraid. Are you asking about whether there could be some constraint with cluster scope, rather than node scope? Where something is enforced despite not being part of a distribution key? Would such not require cross-cluster round-trips on every constraint-check, thus leading to abysmal performance for INSERTs and UPDATEs due to the network latency? Forgive me if I misunderstand.

Peace,
tiredpixel