[Postgres-xl-developers] FreeBSD Port

Tomas Vondra tomas.vondra at 2ndquadrant.com
Fri Jun 16 12:47:36 PDT 2017

Hi,

On 6/15/17 6:46 AM, John Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a FreeBSD port for Postgres-XL and have had some success
> compiling and packaging it with basic options.
>
> So far, I've found that two patches are necessary.  I've attached them
> for your reference.  I suggest applying the patch for
> contrib/pgxc_ctl/make_signature your source in git.  This replaces all
> ex commands (which weren't working on FreeBSD) with a sed command.  I've
> tested it both on FreeBSD and CentOS and confirmed the generated
> pgxc_ctl_bash.c code is identical to that generated on CentOS before the
> patch was applied.

I've been looking at the patches today, and both seem to be working fine
for me. I'm wondering why the 'ex' command was not working on FreeBSD,
though. I don't have access to a FreeBSD box, but per man pages on the
interwebs it seems the 'ex' command should work just like on Linux. Was
the command itself missing (AFAICS it should be provided by 'vi'), or
was it failing for some other reason?

Similarly for the second patch, why is the new sys/wait.h include
necessary? I suppose there's a difference between Linux and FreeBSD, but
what is it?

FWIW those are things that need to be mentioned in the commit message,
if we end up committing those changes.

thanks