[Postgres-xl-developers] Postgres-xl on Power: AIX and Linux/Power

REIX, Tony tony.reix at atos.net
Thu Dec 14 10:05:33 PST 2017

Hi Tomas,

1)  Linux/PPC64 BE
---------------------------
I have Flex v2.6.0 installed on my Linux/PPC64 BE, and that is an issue for the configure file, which does not handle this case. I've patched it.
flex-2.6.0-3.fc25.ppc64

I got the master from https://github.com/Postgres-XL/Postgres-XL ,
and I have:
 ============== creating temporary instance            ==============
============== initializing database system           ==============
sh: /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/Postgres-XL-master/contrib/btree_gin/log/initgtm.log: No such file or directory

pg_regress: initgtm failed

2) AIX

I have:
gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 8.0.0 20171205 (experimental)

However, the issue deals with the configure*/Makefile* files not handling correctly AIX.
The issue I described in previous email is due to "ld on AIX not working like ld works on Linux I think. I had to add -Wl,-G to say "ld" to accept missing definitions of symbols.
Moreover, LDFLAGS="........." ./configure does not work as expected. A GNUmakefile file identical to GNUmakefile.in is generated, but no Makefile files was regenerated.
I guess I have to do some aclocal/autoconf/automake, however that broke the ./configure .

I've found some other issues on AIX, that i'll have to fix later.
The most important issue is to understand why ./configure does not work with postgres-XL on AIX. With posgresSQL, we use the official source code and we simply do (in short): ./configure ... ; gmake ; ... and that works fine.

Cordialement,

Tony Reix

ATOS / Bull SAS
ATOS Expert
IBM Coop Architect & Technical Leader
Office : +33 (0) 4 76 29 72 67
1 rue de Provence - 38432 Échirolles - France
www.atos.net