[Postgres-xl-developers] Inheritance and alter_table test case

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 22:14:02 PDT 2017

One of the restrictions we recently imposed on inheritance is that all
child tables must have the same distribution method and the distribution
column must be in the same position in the parent as well as child tables.
These restriction simplifies XL's distribution planning and execution. I
realised that while we got it right for ALTER TABLE case, we did not impose
the required restriction during CREATE TABLE when a table is inherited from
more than one parent.

This patch fixes the CREATE TABLE handling. We have also changed the
distribution method for some tables in the regression from HASH to
ROUNDROBIN. This allows multi-parent inheritance and thus reduces the noise
in the regression by a great deal.

I propose to apply the attached patch. Only one failure remains in
alter_table test case after this, which needs to be analysed separately.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
 Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/