[Postgres-xl-developers] postgres-xl upgrage but pgadmin connection error

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:18:38 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:33 AM, zoujb at primb.com <zoujb at primb.com> wrote:
>
>>          Hi,
>>          I have upgraded postgres-xl version to up-to-date XL9_5_STABLE
>> from XL9_5_R1_1,no error when I connect to XL with psql,but I faced some
>> errors when connect to XL with pgadmin Ⅲ 1.22.0.
>>          Below are the errors:
>>
>> “ERROR:could not open relation with OID 0”

Hi,

Thanks for the report. This is shameful, but looks like I did not
anticipate impact on upgradability while making a seemingly minor change.
What happened is that commit 8f4541cdd8c326fad5d6ff56c7c3c70cecbf66fb
changed the on-disk representation of in-memory expressions which are
stored and later read back to construct the in-memory structures. I managed
to move a structure member around and that breaks the expressions stored
with the old format.

To be honest, I don't know how to fix that easily without causing further
breakage for those who created their database using r1.2. There is no easy
way to find the minor version that was used to create the database. Any
other solution will require somehow explicitly telling the new server to
read these expressions using older format, which looks fragile.

At this point, I am inclined to leave things as they are. If a fresh initdb
is not an option for you, I would suggest reverting commit
8f4541cdd8c326fad5d6ff56c7c3c70cecbf66fb (or apply the attached patch) and
then recompile the binaries. The commit is mostly for ease-of-debugging and
reverting it should not cause any loss of functionality or bug fixes.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
 Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/