[Postgres-xl-developers] Postgres-XL 9.5 alpha is now available

Markus Wanner markus at bluegap.ch
Tue Jul 14 11:19:48 PDT 2015

Hi,

congrats to the 9.5 merge - I'm sorry it's a too late to have made it
into my recent talk [0] at the Swiss Postgres Conference.

On 07/14/2015 06:41 PM, Arcadiy Ivanov wrote:
> It seems to me that after my exchange with Mason there was a decision
> made NOT to follow through with such model, to move the repository from
> SF to PG internal instead of GitHub, doubling-down on submitting patches
> over email, holding code review discussions over mailing lists

Yay! The good old Postgres-way: community-based, open and independent
from emerging-and-vanishing-startups. +1

> based on non-transparent decision making and
> unclear quality criteria: methodology, I believe, that significantly
> affects both quality and project participation in negative ways.

Agreed, only that I perceive GitHub as being that non-transparent and
unclear thing with the negative impact. :-)

> Being able to stage changes and running a full suite of compliance and
> integration tests in a hermetic pristine environment on a continuous
> basis is a cornerstone of modern software development. Being able to
> comment on code as it's being proposed and being able to see the
> compliance test results as the code mutates is a huge productivity bonus
> as well.

I fully agree to that statement. And I always appreciate if these
abilities are independent of any single service provider.

Just my 2c.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner

[0]: Slides: Postgres-XL vs Bi-Directional Replication (in German)
http://www.postgres-conference.ch/schedule/wanner_html