[Postgres-xl-developers] Backup and recovery

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:53:38 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Joakim Lundgren <lundgren700 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm struggling some with backup and recovery of a postgres-XL cluster over
> several nodes. I have read the manual and are using pg_basebackup to do a
> hot backup.
>
> My question is if there are any best practices how to do a full backup and
> recovery of a cluster. Do I need to pg_basesetup on each node storing data
> or is there any script that do the full backup on each node?

Yes, you need to backup each node individually. There had been some
discussion about either extending pgxc_ctl or extending one of the other
backup/recovery utility to do cluster wide backup. But AFAIK there is
nothing in place yet.

> If you run pg_basesetup on each node, do they have to be synchronized in
> some way.

There is a concept of BARRIER which can be used to create cluster-wide
point to which each component can recovery and guarantee global consistency.

CREATE BARRIER 'foo';

Barriers can then be used in recovery.conf.  Each node is supposed to
recover to the same barrier. Also please keep in mind that the cluster does
not provide any mechanism to guarantee uniqueness of barrier names. Hope
this helps.

Thanks,
Pavan

--