[Postgres-xl-developers] XL-Extension

Mason Sharp msharp at translattice.com
Tue Sep 16 14:34:28 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd at commandprompt.com>
wrote:

> On 09/16/2014 10:41 AM, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd at commandprompt.com
> > <mailto:jd at commandprompt.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     Hello,
> >
> >     I was curious if it would be possible to change the development
> model of
> >     XL to make it a PostgreSQL extension? (Similar to how BDR is an
> >     extension). I know that XL is quite a bit different than BDR but of
> >     course the curiosity is there.
> >

> > IMO this will be extremely challenging, unless we could add appropriate
> > hooks in the core engine. Even then, finding the right set of hooks may
> > turn out to be a challenge itself.
> >
> > What we could do though is to make datanodes to be standard PostgreSQL +
> > an extension. The coordinators can still be modified version of
> > Postgres. This will still be quite comforting because the real data will
> > reside on standard PG instances and accessed via standard API.
>
> That seems like a very reasonable compromise and will in fact help some
> of the perception of XL. That way, it is a .Org extension plus some
> external (open source) components.

I think even for the datanodes, there may be quite a bit of work because of
internode row shipping, but perhaps a new hook or two could help there.

Anyway. we have thought about taking a closer look at the feasibility of
this, just need some time to do so.

--
Mason Sharp

TransLattice - http://www.translattice.com