[Postgres-xl-developers] XL-Extension

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Tue Sep 16 12:42:19 PDT 2014

On 09/16/2014 10:41 AM, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd at commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd at commandprompt.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hello,
>
>     I was curious if it would be possible to change the development model of
>     XL to make it a PostgreSQL extension? (Similar to how BDR is an
>     extension). I know that XL is quite a bit different than BDR but of
>     course the curiosity is there.
>

> IMO this will be extremely challenging, unless we could add appropriate
> hooks in the core engine. Even then, finding the right set of hooks may
> turn out to be a challenge itself.
>
> What we could do though is to make datanodes to be standard PostgreSQL +
> an extension. The coordinators can still be modified version of
> Postgres. This will still be quite comforting because the real data will
> reside on standard PG instances and accessed via standard API.

That seems like a very reasonable compromise and will in fact help some
of the perception of XL. That way, it is a .Org extension plus some
external (open source) components.

JD

> Thanks,
> Pavan

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should
              not be surprised when they come back as Romans."