[Postgres-xl-developers] XL-Extension

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:41:30 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd at commandprompt.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was curious if it would be possible to change the development model of
> XL to make it a PostgreSQL extension? (Similar to how BDR is an
> extension). I know that XL is quite a bit different than BDR but of
> course the curiosity is there.

IMO this will be extremely challenging, unless we could add appropriate
hooks in the core engine. Even then, finding the right set of hooks may
turn out to be a challenge itself.

What we could do though is to make datanodes to be standard PostgreSQL + an
extension. The coordinators can still be modified version of Postgres. This
will still be quite comforting because the real data will reside on
standard PG instances and accessed via standard API.

Thanks,
Pavan