[Postgres-xl-developers] DML in plpgsql functions

Mason Sharp msharp at translattice.com
Tue Sep 9 15:43:25 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Roarke Wells <roarke at roarkew.com> wrote:

> Mason,
> I have discovered the current limitation with execution of functions in
> Postgres-XL - i.e. that they are pushed to a datanode for execution.  Is
> there any workaround for this as it severely limits the functionality of
> the product.  We have a lot of our business logic in functions and the
> inability to reliably execute queries, cursors, etc. because they will only
> return data local to the datanode is pretty much a show stopper for us.

Yes, it is currently a limitation. Were you able to run top level functions
like "SELECT myfunc();" ok?

>  I did run a quick test where I used an EXECUTE to run an EXECUTE DIRECT
> on the coordinator and that seems to have worked, but that would mean all
> of the SQL statements within a function would have to be forced via EXECUTE
> DIRECT back to a given coordinator to return the correct results.

I understand you would want to avoid that.

We may be able to do something to indicate when functions are "local safe"
or when they need to have execution go to the coordinator. This would be a
little different than volatile, stable and immutable functions, where one
could still allow execution of volatile functions on a node.

Anyway, some level of effort is required here.

--
Mason Sharp

TransLattice - http://www.translattice.com
TransLattice Elastic Database (TED)