[Postgres-xl-developers] DML in plpgsql functions

Roarke Wells roarke at roarkew.com
Tue Aug 26 07:07:16 PDT 2014

All,
Ran into the error regarding DML in plpgsql functions: "Postgres-XL does
not support DML queries in PL/pgSQL".   I've seen the workaround using
EXECUTE and was able to convert some initial code over to use the EXECUTE
solution.

I am trying to get an understanding of the issue regarding DML in
functions.  When testing what is allowed and what isn't allowed it appears
that I am able to implement a DML command (insert) inside a function as
long as I am not in a control loop - i.e. FOR loop.  Inside the FOR loop I
have to use EXECUTE statements.

Can anyone provide some background on the DML in function issue and is
there any other workaround?  I'm not anxious to rewrite several thousand
line queries to use EXECUTEs if there is another solution.

Thanks in advance