[Postgres-xl-developers] Making GTM optional

Mason Sharp msharp at translattice.com
Tue Aug 12 10:03:16 PDT 2014

Hi Atri,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if its possible and how hard is it it make GTM starting
> optional. I  understand that it may lead to consistency issues but if we
> ensure eventual consistency on each node and with coordinator (maybe), we
> could avoid the overhead of GTM.
>
> Deploying an instance of Postgres-XL for test at work raised this
> question,if we do heavy analytics, we may want to tradeoff consistency with
> performance, so I was wondering if its possible and how we can go about it.

Actually, this is something we have been discussing, more so recently.  If
just doing inserts and queries, one could use a simpler architecture if you
understand the trade-offs. We also need to handle other issues, like
sequences, but that is doable.

--
Mason Sharp

TransLattice - http://www.translattice.com
Distributed and Clustered Database Solutions